Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You...

I know that I mentioned my story in "Oh Cesare" when I figured out something wasn't right with the world this day ten years ago. But with it being the official 10 year anniversary of that September day, I thought I would give a small insight on to what really went on in my little 7th grade noggin.
     I remember what classroom I was in when I "happened" to peek my head out the door and saw faculty members carrying around a letter on an off white, almost ivory piece of paper with my school logo as they quickly entered each classroom with a sense of calm, but also with a sense of whatever you do, do not let the chillen's know what is going on demeanor. As my fraction lesson was interrupted, I saw my teachers face go from a face of enthusiasm, to a face of shock. Well of course being the curious students we were, we weren't about to go on with math. "What did the letter say?" Her reply? Oh nothing. Just a last minute teachers meeting. Yea right. The last time a school wide letter was sent home, there wasn't good news in that letter either.  I somehow managed to go on with my day, but knew something wasn't right, and I was determined to figure this out. The teachers had been instructed not to talk about the days events wether they had a class full of students or not. So yes, what I just told you is that, I did not see any of the events on TV. Instead, they had sent a letter home with every child that afternoon explaining to the parents that they had decided not to tell us, instead they felt it was best to allow the parents to explain what happened. Now that I think about it, I do have to agree that it was best not to tell us, because once stories get started, the first and second graders would have heard, and thats the last thing they needed to deal with.
    After classes had concluded for the day, my home room had come to the conclusion that this was a 7th and 8th grade letter going home to explain high school shadowing guidelines about when to go, how to notify school that you would be missing a day etc. So. Wrong. 
    Carpool had finally come, and it was time to find out what exactly was in this letter. "Hi Mom. We got this letter that says CONFIDENTIAL. Can I open it?" "About that letter. There's been a national tragedy and about 3,000 people have died." "What on earth happened?" "Two airplanes hit the World Trade Centers in New York City, while another plane hit the Pentagon in D.C." I figured that people would be sad for a day or so, and then move on with their lives. It wasn't until I got home and finally got to see the coverage and witness the day for myself, and instantly knew this wouldn't take days to fix, it was going to take years. 

-Sara-

No comments:

Post a Comment