Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sausage Biscuits And Doughnuts...

"Hey it's Sara, I was calling to get my schedule for the week. Monday 3-Close, Wednesday 12-Close, Friday 2-Close, Sat 7-3. Excuse me? 7 AM? On a Saturday? Yes 7 AM. See ya Monday. Click." Who on earth goes to work at 7 AM? Adults. That's right. Once you turn 18, you become a member of the 9-5 world. Being the early bird I am, I set my alarm for 6:10 AM. On a Saturday. Being the considerate and clever person I am, and not wanting to turn on lights, or waste energy, I turned to my handy dandy cell phone and got ready for work in the somewhat dark. Don't think I'm weird, because I'm sure you do it too. And yet again, I set my alarm too early, and arrived at work at a mere 6:40. It was off to go see what I am to do at  7 AM on a Saturday, when actually work doesn't open until 8:00. Queue the already halfway into the store and ask "oh are you open?" 7:01 AM customers.
   After coming to the realization that I was at my home away from home on a Saturday morning, it was time for me to figure out what needed to be done.  I had the option of putting up peaches, grapes, plums, or nectarines. Or the big fat elephant in the room.... the unmentioned thousands upon thousands of strawberries. Nope. I'll leave that to the experts. 
     "Is this your first time opening?" Well, yeah. Considering I don't know the last time I had to set my alarm for 6:10 AM on a Saturday morning, you're gonna have to show me what to do.  Leaving the grapes, those unspoken of evil berries and peaches, (I have a good reason of not touching those things. I'm allergic to the fuzz) it was off to learn the difference of a good plum and bad plum. Okay, this should be easy, if there are any spots on the plum, I'll just throw it in my bad box. Correction: You must first take down all the plums that were put up yesterday, go through those to see if those are bad, put new ones up on the bottom, and see if those are bad, and then put the old ones on top so those sell first. Make sure that the "butts" of the fruit go on the bottom, so they all are facing the right direction. And you wanted me to learn this all at 7 AM? Oh and in between doing that, you need to check out those 59 minutes before we really open customers. 
     Besides my when it's 9:00 on a Saturday morning and and asks in that way too early for being perky "whatcha doin? What do you want to do today?" Dad, I had to ask myself, who is up at this time of the day, never the less, DRESSED, and out shopping at 7:00 on a Saturday morning. Go back to bed and do me a favor and come back at 8:00 when the neon orange sign says "OPEN." Promptly at 7:15 it was time for me to play nice and check out the even though I have a pint of strawberries and two banana's can I have that in two plastic bags? I'm walking before it gets super hot out customers. Now back to what I was doing.  


-Sara- 
     

1 comment:

  1. bahahahah i laughed out loud. Especially loved the comment about the "two plastic bags" lady. I know her all too well.

    ReplyDelete