Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hibernating Rainbow's...

Ah, the sweet smell of summer. School's out,laying by the pool, flip flops, countless number of barbecues, cute bathing suits and 89 cents any size Coke ICEE's. Even though I'm not exactly Summer's number one fan, I do enjoy all these. Except, finding cute flip flops with no toe separator became quite a challenge. Seriously Sara? You have another phobia? Well, at one point I did. Until the age of 16, I had a hard time with tactile issues. No one could sit on the same couch with me, it took me at least three minutes to make sure my socks were smooth, getting pedicures/manicure's were not even considered and even shoulder massages gave me the creeps. Which brings me to the flip flops issues. For many years, I had to wear socks and shoes during the height of summer, or just resort to the ever popular ADIDAS sandals with the strap across the top of the foot. If you haven't noticed, I wasn't your average American teenage girl. Until, the ever so fashionable sister introduced me to the seriously just wear these you'll eventually get used to them, they mold to your feet, its all I wear Rainbow leather flip flops.
     When I was first introduced to these flip flops, I tried them on with serious reservations, knowing this was not gonna fly. They were uncomfortable, had the ever so evil toe separator and didn't look all that attractive. "Will you at least just try? If you don't like them I'll wear them." Okay fine, I will at least try them. "Well, what do you think? The more you wear them, the more they will mold to your feet." A shoe that will mold to your feet? This was becoming sketchy. I wore them home, with my toes itching to get out of them. Someone once quoted, "Patience is a virtue." And with great patience, not only did I learn to tolerate the aforementioned footwear, I fell in love. With a pair of flip flops. I know, I have got to get a life.
      These have become a part of my everyday existence. With my somewhat sketchy driving record, the deal was no driving in flip flops.  Being the ever so disobedient teen I was, I drove to school wearing tennis shoes with the plan of switching into flip flops after school. Hey, it was spring and my feet were hot. Before coming into mi casa, I would plan to switch back into my "appropriate driving shoes." This was a fool proof plan. I'm guessing this is new information to some people.
     My Rainbow flip flops aren't just any pair of ordinary flip flops. When I first started wearing these, I wore them everywhere. The longer I wore them, the more inseparable we became. Strolling down memory lane, the 'bow's first trip was the annual family trip to the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan. "Sara, if you really want them to become loose and comfortable, wear your shoes into the water." Leather shoes and water don't mix. Unless you want orange feet, and then they do. But that one dip into the unsalted waters of Lake Michigan confirmed my love for these shoes.
     The trip to Michigan is just a preview of where these shoes have been with me. Aside from the daily trips to get gas, these shoes have literally been all over the world. My Rainbow's have been on a countless number of trips to Florida, they have been to sea shores of the east coast, in the adorable red telephone booths in London, England, they've climbed the Arch de Triumph and wondered through the Louve in Paris France. This love is indescribable. They have also be worn during the milestones in my life, including my last day of high school, my first day of college, numerous UL football and basketball games, and my first day at Shenanigan headquarters.
     Christmas Morning 2008, the original pairs of Rainbow's tried to be replaced. And I use tried loosely. I decided to use my new pair for special events, because after years and thousands of miles they really should have been thrown away. I have attachment issues. The first time I wore these shoes wasn't like the first pair. They didn't have the "magic touch" that were in the first pair. People have said to me, it's time to throw those away and break in the others. Like I've said in earlier blog posts, I have issues with change.
     When I blogged about my first day at Shenanigan's, these flip flops couldn't have been there for me at a better time. If you stood on your feet for a solid 6 hours in socks and tennis shoes in the height of summer, you can imagine how hot your feet would be. After what seemed a long and hot day, I came to my car looking forward to taking off the shoes, and slipping on the bow's. Now that the foolproof plan had failed, I had began driving in my rainbow's daily.
     Summer was over. Now what shoes do I wear ? Back to tennis shoes? Nope. Still wearing the bow's. Some people consider it Fall until mid October, but I was still wearing these well until November. And then, my feet began to freeze. When would I cut myself off from wearing them? It had been decided that after I saw the first snowflake, my flip flops would would go into a season of hibernation. And sadly, the first snowflake came too early this year, because on November 26, 2010, I witnessed the falling of the snowflake. And the fall of the snowflake only meant one thing; it was time for the rainbow's to rest up for Spring and another year of adventures.
     I've included pictures for you to see just how much love I have put into my shoes. I'll let you guess which ones are my first pair, and which ones are the competitor pair.
  
-Sara-




1 comment:

  1. I think I might love my pair as much as you love yours. I'm going on three summers with mine and I'm scared to replace them!

    ReplyDelete