Saturday, November 6, 2010

Happy Birthday Ya Wild Animal...

The girl's name Sara \s(a)-ra\ is a variant of Sarah (Hebrew), and the meaning of Sara is "princess".   And yes, that's exactly what I was on my wonderful day of birth. For those who were unable to participate in my festivities, you were extremely missed, but it's a good thing you have your handy dandy sara spills birthday blog to fill you in. 
    12:01 AM: New Text Message. 12:05 A.M. New Text Message. 2:15 AM: New Text Message. 4:15 AM. New Text Message. Oh the joys of Facebook Mobile. I had prepared myself for the notifications of the obligatory Happy Birthday wall posts, but having to get up super early because of attending higher education, I would need to put my phone on silent. Okay, if you put your phone on silent, how did you know you got all those text messages? Don't you leave your phone in the kitchen plugged into the wall where it belongs? Sadly no. I am one of those Generation Y'ers who sleep with their phone next to their head. And don't try to tell me that if I sleep with my phone by my head I'll loose brain cells. Because it doesn't work. Oh wait. If I turn my phone on silent I'm going to miss the first Happy Birthday 7 AM phone call. Set my "It's T-Shirt Time" alarm for 6 AM and turn phone on to ring. Go back to bed. Problem solved. 7:02 AM. "Happy Birthday To You..." phone call. I normally have to get up for school at 7:30 but heck, it's my day of birth, so why not get up 28 minutes earlier and enjoy the day? In order for me to get to class on time, I like to leave the house at 8:30ish which gives me time to get there, park and get to class, and not speed. It took me everything to get out of bed at 8:15 to attend class. I went to class on my birthday. I won't be making that mistake next year. If I went to class on my birthday does that qualify me for student of the year award? Yea, I thought so. Coming out of class, it began to rain. The big guy upstairs must have listened to what I wanted for my birthday because I wanted it cold and rainy for my day. High of 53 and rainy to be exact. With school, taking a birthday nap, and getting ready to debut my killer and I mean killer birthday outfit and family celebrations, my schedule was beginning to fill up.
     On a normal school day, I just head home, but as this was the this world would be boring with out Sara, thank goodness she was born day, it was only appropriate that I celebrate with a birthday lunch with the Dove Chocolate Fairy :),  in a cute little adorable cafe in the back of a party store. In the back of a party store? Yes. And it's absolutely adorable. Wanting to save plenty of room for dinner and the homemade cake I got to watch being made, Mom joined me in splitting a Ham and Brie sandwich dressed with pepper jelly and spicy mustard on Orange Cranberry bread.
     Between driving to classes, attending classes, and lunch, the birthday girl did need her beauty sleep. Well so I thought. As dinner reservations were at 6:15, I figured that if I got my beauty sleep from 3:00-4:30, I would have plenty to get ready. Call the Guinness Book of World Records. I took the shortest nap in history. With birthday calls and MORE birthday texts, I took an all of a two minute nap. Not that I loved all the calls, because I did, but I could have used a nap of what I was about to face at dinner. 
     The day had come for me to debut my boots that would accompany my jeggings, the classic J-Crew white long sleeved shirt and a vest. I can't go into details. We'll just say I like to go shopping in a relative's closet. Dinner. If you know me, you know how family dinners go. A nice time had by all. 
     Next thing you know it was time for the delicious home made chocolate on chocolate on chocolate cake to be presented. Ruh Ro. So did the ice cream. My family must have read my blog on my phobia, because ladies and gentlemen, we have made a great stride with this phobia. My peppermint ice cream was served in a bowl. No not with the cake on the plate, but in a totally separate BOWL. But because ice cream melts, I still felt the need to scarf it down before I ate my cake. The cake was ready to go, and so were the candles. Most people can blow out candles in one breath. After last years nightmare of blowing out candles, I was determined to blow out my candles in one breath this year. As my wise sister commented, "not a chance." Bingo. It took not one, not two but THREE tries to blow them out. And it's only gonna get harder. 
     We have a routine when it comes to birthdays, chit chat a little, and then presents. I took my first bite and was handed my first present. "Okay Sara, in order for you to get your first part to your present, name all nine American Idol winners in order." I named the first three, but struggled. I was handed a crossword puzzle. Okay...  I was slightly confused. "In order for you to get a pencil, name all your vowels."  "A,E,I,O,U and sometimes Y." And so began "Sara's Epic Birthday Crossword Puzzle." Being the oh so wise sister she is, she created a crossword puzzle that had the answers to my birthday presents. Included? iTunes, Target, and Heine Brothers for those upcoming, way too cold for winter, 7 AM's days at work. Shout-out to The. Best. Sister. In. The. World. Holla. The family celebration concluded with funny and cards and a sophisticated Lilly Pulitzer phone cover for a very sophisticated adult.
     With the birthday coming to an end, it was time to come home to watch my Thursday night tradition with an episode of Grey's accompanied by presents from Mom and Dad."Uhhh. Is this what I think this is?" I saw the infamous little red box with white letters. As. Seen. On. TV.  "This is halarious." Yep. I am a proud owner of a Snuggie.
    Okay, so I do enjoy birthday's, but what I don't enjoy is getting another year older. But what I didn't forget to do on my special day? "And don't lose the way that you dance around in your pj's getting ready for school."

-Sara- 

1 comment:

  1. awwwww SARA!!!! I loved this one. (do I say that about every post?!?!) hahaha and where was this delicious brithday lunch?? I'm wracking my brain and I want to know!

    ReplyDelete