Friday, November 26, 2010

Indian Givers...

Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday. When I told Shenanigans headquarters that they could "have" me starting November 19th, I didn't think they needed Superman everyday.Wrong. I'm not complaining that I worked seven days straight with one obligatory day off, I'm just saying thats why you can call me Superman. Let me tell you the stories of Thanksgiving 2010.
     After working the much anticipated weekend before Thanksgiving, I began to become worn out. And you would think after being worn out from school, and work, I would go to bed at a somewhat reasonable time. Not so fast. With working Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, I began to show the symptoms of The Cold That Has Taken Three Weeks To Go Around Work and after talking about how I hadn't gotten it, I thought I was out of the woods Cold 2010, well well well, look who was the lucky winner and of course who gets it the week of Thanksgiving? Don't answer all at once. Of all people how did I get it my second favorite week of the year? I was not about to call in on my favorite work day of the year. I had bakery commitments to live up to. (And you think all we eat is fruits and vegetables.) After what I thought was allergies, this "cold" started as sniffles late Tuesday night. Maybe just a good night sleep outta knock this out in no time. Knocked out? I meant come invade my immune system. I awoke to a pouring down rain Wednesday morning armed with Funfetti cupcakes and Orange Gatorade for my favorite work day of the year.
     A little history on my favorite day of the year. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving can be described as a madhouse marathon that starts promptly at 7:30 AM. (This is the one day that I do not mind the before 8:00 customers.) In the previous years, I love this day of the year, but this year, I came in with sniffles, a somewhat of a scratchy voice, and the pouring down rain. Working a mostly talking job of eight hours with a scratchy voice was no bueno. But as long as I had three dozen doughnuts, my two dozen cupcakes, a dozen homemade Chess bars, :) a dozen home made gingerbread cookies, and my gatorade, I would be good to go. To everyone's surprise, we were not as busy per usual. Thanks for nothing mother nature. I know there's always next year, but thats a mere 363 days away.
    At least the sniffles were nice enough to hold off until I got home, because Wednesday, I felt like I got hit by a smart car. (No not a bus a smart car.) The rest of Wednesday would be trying to sleep off this awful cold junk and get better for turkey day. I spent nothing but sleeping, consuming copious amounts of orange juice and popsicles. Maybe if I said that I was thankful for my health that this would magically go away.
    On Wednesday, I said I felt like I got hit by a smart car. Thanksgiving, I felt like I got hit by a bus. I wanted to enjoy the Christmas lights Wednesday night, so I slept on the couch. The deal in my family has always been, if you sleep on the couch, don't expect to get a good nights sleep. Being sick and sleeping on the couch didn't mix for a good night sleep anyway. I got up at 8:00ish which is purely ridiculous for my one day off, but less than 90 minutes later, I was fast asleep. I had told myself if I didn't feel better by noon, I wasn't going to dinner. Being sick, and attending another family dinner, there would be no way I could function. But being sick on my favorite food holiday with Mother's homemade stuffing, NOODLES overnight expressed from Florida, Cranberry Jelly, and Rolls, how could I miss out? By showering and somehow looking decent, I pulled myself together and went off to go take notes for what would be just another family holiday dinner. (Insert eye roll here).
     Putting together an outfit of khaki pants, a classic white t-shirt, a brown sweater, and my adorable and I mean adorable Sam And Libby flowered ballet flats, I somehow miraculously showed up for Thanksgiving. Like I mentioned, being sick, and dealing with family, I would be in no mood for being picked on. Arriving at 1:15 for a 2:00 dinner, I was glutton for punishment. Oh, and then on top of that, I walk into the kitchen to find an elbowlessness turkey. Somehow a furry friend that shall rename nameless wanted to partake in our thanksgiving feast and grabbed the turkey to pull off the platter when the thanksgiving hero, CFL lightbulb Uncle, caught the 109 pound furry friend, and stopped him before total turkey devastation. A pizza thanksgiving averted.
     Time for the first course including family heirloom oyster shells oysters Rockefeller while Mom and I ate Rockefeller on toast. Oysters are not included in my appetite. For those unaware of what Rockefeller is, I shall inform you. This green "goo" which includes spinach and watercress, is quite the treat at holiday meals. After scarfing down this deliciousness, it was announced that there were leftovers, and I directly quote my hostess with the mostess grandmother, "yes doll, we will send the rest home with you." CHA CHING. Wait a second. I was asking for spinach "goo" when normally I can not stand the smell of cooked spinach? I must be sick. "No mother, she may not have them. We'll freeze it and save it for Christmas." Did I just witness an act of Indian First People giving on Thanksgiving Day no less? (After all this is 2010, and we must be politically correct) I think I did. Adding to the already eclectic dinner conversation, it was announced that the actual "first people of American's were Russians, and Sarah Pailin could see them from her Wasilla, Alaska home." FREEZE FRAME: Am I really witnessing this, or has the mucinex gotten to my head?"And this wasn't even dessert.
     After a dinner of oysters Rockefeller, turkey with oyster dressing, wild rice, NOODLES :), broccoli, rolls, and your choice of cranberry jelly, or cranberry jelly with whole berries, it was time for dessert. Dessert included, pumpkin pie plain, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream plain, pie and vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce, pie with vanilla ice cream and CARMEL sauce or ice cream with chocolate and carmel sauce. How many choices can there be? I went with vanilla and carmel sauce. Cold carmel sauce that is. As I mentioned the CFL Uncle who wished to be unnamed, he announced at the table that in 2011, Congress will ban all regular lightbulbs that we use today, and has been "collecting" the ones used today for several years stockpiling in his basement. He also went on to say that Thomas Edison still has his original lightbulb burning in his (Edison's house).
     Next up on the family holiday dinner? Christmas. I can only hope that we can all be on our best behavior. We do have special guests joining us. So to the family that I love and adore... (you know who you are) Can I have one extra present this year? Can we please be on our best behavior? One can only hope...

-Sara-

1 comment: