Sunday, August 28, 2011

It's Super Hot...

Being at the 2011 MTV Video Music Awards. Why's that you ask? Because just in the opening 20 minutes alone, I witnessed Lady Gaga outdoing herself by dressing up as a young man. (yes I said man) and then proceeded to perform her latest hit "You And I" while the one and only Justin Bieber was busy looking like a confused geeky brainiac. Included in this brainiac ensemble, he brought back the red pants, while he sported his dad's glasses.
     As Twitter was all a buzz with the worldwide trending topic #whatwillgagawear, there was another exciting announcement needing to be made. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the time has come that Beyonce and Jay-Z are expecting their first media mogul together. I'm already jealous of how gorgeous it will be. I mean really? Beyonce, and Jay-Z? If you ever need a babysitter, I'm free.
     In VMA past, there has always been some sort of a host. Well, not this year. And as one of many "presenters" came out, I could already tell it was going to be another one of those super awk awards show.
     After the turn the channel while some random comedian rambled on, it was time for the best female pop video to be announced. The nominees were, Adele, Katy Perry, Nikki Minaj, and Britney Spears. If you didn't already know, I'm kinda obessed with Adele. She's so classy, has a beautiful voice (YouTube Adele doing Make You Feel My Love) and is just all around one of those timeless musicians. I'm not a huge fan of Katy Perry, could care less if Nikki Minaj won, and I would not be a happy camper if Britney won over Adele. Sorry Britney you had your fifteen minutes of fame, now it's time for someone else's turn. And the winner of the 2011 Best Female Pop Video is.... Britney Spears for "As The World Ends." Whatever. Yes, I will admit that I went to her Baby One More Time tour circa 1999.
     After Britney won the first award of the night, it was time to cut to commercial; but not before one of many awkward performances by Jessi J, who sits in a throne that sings songs while they go to commercial. And I must add, she has not moved because she is currently sporting a leg cast, and not just your average leg cast, a leg cast with glitter. Diva.
     While there was an on going never ending list of performances, there were two that were mentioned. Over. And over. And over. And over. A tribute to Britney Spears that I thought would include some form of singing, maybe people paying tribute to her. Apparently not. And here I was after getting all excited, I got to watch three dozen teenage girls who weren't around for Britney's earlier years dance in replicas of her infamous videos. And if I must quote the Lady Gaga, "Britney Spears taught me to be fearless." Liar. Taylor Swift taught us to be Fearless. Get your facts straight. I'm usually bragging about Gaga, but not tonight. She has officially creeped me out.
     On the performances note, by far my two favorite acts were no doubt the beautiful and glowing Beyonce, and then my personal favorite Adele, singing her new single "Someone Like You".  Stunning.
     Congratulations MTV, you've scarred me. For life.

-Sara-
   

No comments:

Post a Comment