Sunday, July 17, 2011

I Don't Like Golf...

I'll go ahead and admit it. I'm not a huge sports buff. Sure I like the occasional college football game, filling out a March Madness bracket for kicks and giggles, and then catching who sings the National Anthem at the World Series. So Sara, what catches your attention during the summer? Absolutely. NOTHING. Well, except for those awkward every four years when the rest of the nation becomes obsessed with the USA Men's or in this case The USA Women's World Cup Soccer Team.
     When the FIFA World Cup took place in South Africa last summer, the states became one and supported the men's team every step of the way. People would have parties, and people would get to bars hours early before games so they could guarantee a front row seat for the game. Yes, I was one of those who would hope and pray that I could get home from work to watch the game, but bellying up to the local pubs hours before the big game? Uh no thank you, I have better priorities.  
     For the people who are fortunate enough to have learned the official language of Sara, (yes I have my own language) they understand where I'm going with all this. For those who are still in Sara 101, I shall explain. I find it beyond interesting that the a majority of the United States could care less about soccer. That is unless there's a game with David Beckham, or for the 30ish days for the World Cup every four years.  
     It was this time last week, that I had returned home from working a shift at Shenanigan's and was catching up on my Facebook Newsfeed, and happened to see post after post after post talking about how bad the ref was, or the fact that Abby Wambach is a beast. I politely responded; "I'm Guessing I Missed Something?" And yes, I had. In case you missed it, Abby kicked it to a teammate who then got the ball in mid-air and then proceeded to head butt the ball in, making the score 2-2 versus Brazil. After scoring the goal, the game would need to go into Penalty Kicks, and then what do you know, time to knock out the next opponent. The goal was pretty epic. Definitely a defining moment in sports, and a YouTube sensation. And let me remind you, the game versus Brazil was played in the loser's bracket for a chance to get a second life in the cup and make their way to the semi finals versus France. 
     The last Women's World Cup I can remember (circa 1999) was the day that Brandi Chastain kicked the winning Penalty Kick against China in the infamous Rose Bowl and after realizing they had won, she took off her shirt running around THE Rose Bowl in her white shorts, and black sports bra. Klassy with a K.
     After taking out both Brazil and France, here we are today. Less then 50 minutes away from the championship game versus Japan, and according to multiple sources, and the odds in Vegas, there is a good chance that The United States Women's Soccer team will once again become the hometown heroes and bring home the Soccer World Championship. But if they don't, please don't blame me. 
     While I have mentioned YouTube, I suggest you should look up the following. "The World's Reaction To Landon Donovan Game Winning Goal."  Inspiring and quite funny. And then "Abby Wambach's Goal." 
     Vuvuzela's anyone? 

-Sara- 

No comments:

Post a Comment