Monday, January 31, 2011

I Was On A Vacation High...

As I sit here enjoying my because I had a free sweet or pastry my Panera reward, Mint Krinkle cookie, the question arises: is that on my mini marathon diet? Eh. Not exactly, but if you know me and the way I eat, I consider it to be. I'll call it my reward for running 15 miles in three days. At this rate, I should finish the actual race by Derby Day.
     So Sara, how is the training going? Pretty well aside from the fact that I don't know how the 400 pound Biggest Loser contestants run on a speed that I will probably never see in my treadmill life. If I was determined to run on the elephant in the room, the treadmill, I had to make this dreaded activity somewhat pleasurable. Most runners like to listen to their iPod; Me? Why not relive the Mer/Der story line from the beginning? And because I have worked out virtually every day, I have fallen in love all over again. And as a wise runner in mi familia once told me, there's no Grey's Anatomy out on the actual race course.
     With the exception of the throbbing leg cramps, there are some upsides to my never ending training. Perk number one: Creating my own diet. For example: Thursday's meal plan (According to Sara): Breakfast: 90 Calorie Granola Bar. Lunch: Fries. Afternoon Snack: Mint Milanos. Dinner: Hummus with pita's, a back 40 salad and a lamb and beef gyro. Before you start telling me that this is not healthy at all, let me say I did run/walk 4.2 miles that afternoon. Perk number two: experiencing the rainbow of Gatorade flavors. I'm sure you recall me blogging about my copious amounts of 18 Gatorades when I fall sick. Sadly, those were gone within a matter of days. When K Roger has them on sale, I make sure to stock up, and can usually make them last up to a year. Have no fear, the inventory has been restocked. Perk number three: Dressing like a real athlete out in public. Before enjoying a leisurely pre- five mile run Sunday morning breakfast, I would dress for the day in what would normally be jeans and one of my favorite sweatshirts, but knowing that I would be enduring a five mile run, I would need to dress appropriately. So I was off to breakfast dressed in UnderArmor leggings, the usual pair of soffees, underarmor shirt, and a tank top. What about shoes? Just hold your horses. And finally, perk number four: Picking out your custom shoes. Enjoying my new favorite hummus in town, but I'm not revealing where, because I like to keep some things special, the subject of forming blisters on my toes had arisen. (Sorry but it's true) Since you've kept this up and are going through with this ordeal, we'll go and get you fitted for proper running shoes. Off I went to get fit for what would be my first official pair of running shoes. One would think that it would take 10-15 minutes to find shoes. Wrongo. Oh no. This place has a treadmill with a video camera where they actually look at your running posture and then start bringing out shoes that may work. I went on to tell them that I had flat feet. "Why do you think that?" "Because they run in my family."Apparently I've been telling lies. I don't have flat feet. I just have falling arches. Well if I have falling arches, then I need the proper support, and sweat free socks. 45 minutes later, I walked out with about the cutest pair of pink running shoes one will find in the mini marathon. As much fun as I had with my strawberry and blueberry juice stained tennis shoes, it was time to say sinara and hola to a new phase in my tennis shoe life.
     After my historic five mile run Sunday afternoon, it was time for my post run siesta. And apparently during that siesta, mom thought it would be funny to be the in house paparazzi and take pictures of me curled up in a ball on the couch sleeping. "Oh Sara, you should post those. I think it'd be cute." You know what I say to that? REAL. FUNNY.
     This is one winter/spring that I will not forget. I'll be able to tell my chillen's that I was the first in the family to run the mini. But you know what I will forget? The loss of sleep to train for this yea, I was on a vacation high, what was I thinking decision, I think I'll prove to myself that I can do this race.

-Sara-

1 comment:

  1. this had me cracking up...and relating in a weird sense (aka the toe blister portion)..i miss you! wish i was seeing you go through all of this :(

    ReplyDelete