Sunday, October 3, 2010

2011 Champions?...

I'm clearly aware that we are a little less than a month into football season, but I could hardly wait to get home from class to order what could be the start of UL's road to the 2011 NCAA National Championship season. I know I know. I'm probably speaking too soon. Yes there have been some pre-season reports that this will not be our year, but hey, it's only October. I'm not going to worry... Yet.
     Sometime late last week, I heard on the news that on October 24th our beloved UL men's basketball team will ceremoniously take to the floor on the freshly painted, don't even think about stomping on it other teams, coughcoughuUKcoughcough beloved cardinal bird floor at the "we politely ask the public not to call it the bucket" but it looks like one, so we're gonna call it that anyway, KFC YUM! Center Downtown Arena.  For those who are unaware of what I'm exactly talking about, let me take a moment to tell you about this seriously? you're taking money out of MY paycheck to build the fifth largest in the country when the one we still have is perfectly fine, (R.I.P. Freedom Hall) but we have hopes that maybe one day we can host the NCAA Final Four arena. The arena was started around March of 2006 (give or take) and will officially open on 10-10-10.
     Although there have been some pre, pre season reports about UL and the team, this season will be quite an interesting one as Rick Pitino coaches this season post the Karen Sypher fiasco. It's time to move past that and time to coach this team back to the glory days of 2005. As we will soon call the KFC YUM! Center our new home, there is just one little thing that is missing. And die hard UL fans know exactly what it is. Our two banners need updating. BADLY. So Rick, as an early Birthday present can you promise me a National Championship?
     I've been avoiding this next subject at all costs. And what I'm about to announce will probably cause massive amounts of hopelessness during this season. If you don't want to read on, I suggest you stop reading now.The. Pants. Have. Been. Retired. In case you were wondering, my UL sweatpants were worn every game, sometimes having to incorporate them into my work uniform during the basketball season and would be washed after the season ending game. After three long and smelly seasons, it was time for them to be signed by the 1986 Championship team. I thought it was only appropriate that they be retired the same day Freedom Hall closed. They are currently residing in a shadow box in the basement where they will continue to bring lots of joy and luck for many seasons to come.
     Once a believer, always a believer. Do work boys. Do work.

-Sara-

1 comment:

  1. this post just made me miss Louisville. a lot. you are adorable!

    ReplyDelete