Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Best Day...

Isn't there a rule that you don't get presents till Christmas morning? And not two days before? Christmas 2007 was an exception. I remember the sound of the sliding door sliding across the track that led into the connecting bathroom. "Sara... are you awake?" Of course I'm not awake at 2:00 A.M. I did walk four miles in flip flops. "Look at my ring." I must have been in a really good dream. Was my sister really engaged, or was I still in a dream? "Wait. What ring?" "My engagement ring." "Sorry to wake you, but I had to come and show you." And you expect me to go back to bed after hearing my sister was engaged? Psssh. Yeah right. I awoke the next morning to "Good morning Sara. Did you sleep well?"  "Well for the four hours I slept, yeah, I slept pretty well." Oh yes. My dream was not a dream. The sister who was not exactly fond of me at birth, but we learned to truly love each other, was indeed engaged.
     Fast forward 18 months and a summer that I will never forget. Wedding Season "formally" kicked off on May 17 with a Stock The Bar/Kickoff To Summer Party at one of the bridesmaids house. If this party was just a preview of what was to come, yea I'd categorize this as FUN. Stock The Bar was a party filled with fun, laughter, and friends and a night of me meeting the wedding party. Between parties, the days were filled with last minute planning and finding outfit for events. I mean the first rule of fashion is to never show up wearing the same outfit twice. And let me say, I took that rule seriously. I had some pretty cute outfits. June had arrived, but you can't not have a wedding and not have a party. Parties usually have a theme, as this one did; Room By Room. Being the clever sister I am, and happened to get the backyard as a room, I went in with a family friend and got them a fire-pit for those cold brisk summer/early fall nights. The WEDDING MONTH HAD ARRIVED! But not before one last party. The previous two parties had been for the seriously these two lovebirds belong in a J-Crew Catalog. That's how cute they are. Deciding to kick things up a little bit, and focus solely on the bride to be, we would attend a mother daughter personal wedding shower. Adorable cute yellow clutch for the win? I think so. The wedding showers/parties had come to an end, but we did have one last party to look forward to. The bachelorette party.We'll put it this way; We all had fun. NOW, after 18 months of planning, it was time to focus on the final 120 hours before the nuptials of the year.
     Having most of the out of town family already in town for pre wedding festivities, but still waiting on some others, I thought the week would drag. And it did. Monday night was the night before things got crazy busy. Okay maybe things didn't get crazy busy, but with relatives, cousins, aunts and uncles in town and doing last minute details, yea you could say there was never a dull moment. Thank god for work. Tuesday of wedding week started with a dinner at Macaroni Grill with family who had arrived Tuesday. Wednesday had crept upon us and my excitement had hit an all time high. Wednesday would be my last day of work for the next five days. Holla. To celebrate everyone being in town, and the lovebirds being on wedding vacation/honeymoon/Sara being off work for five days/Mom was cooking the next day, so we all met up for a super casual dinner. At dinner it had really hit me. My family would no longer be a family of four. But Sara, you don't like change. This was a change that could not come fast enough. Thursday had arrived which had to be by far one of my favorite days of the weekend, (well besides Friday, Saturday and Sunday) Mom was so gracious and had an open house kind of deal and made a huge pan of Barbecue, coleslaw and a bunch of oh I really shouldn't be eating this because I have to fit into a very important dress in less than two days, but oh well who cares goodies. A summer backyard open house can not be complete with Corn hole. Thursday was fun, but seriously, lets get to the weekend that took 18 months of planning.
     T-24 hours until probably one of the best weekends of my 21 years of life. After Thursday nights fun, I awoke to my stomach in knots. And no it was not food poisoning. It was nerves. I was more nervous than the bride to be. Freeze. Backup. The Maid Of Honor was more nervous than the BRIDE? I promise I wasn't trying to steal her thunder.  Downing a coke, some crackers, and a pep talk from her, I was good to go. Before the rehearsal and dinner, and donning an adorable pink strapless dress, it was off to the traditional Bridesmaid Luncheon. The luncheon was a great way to spend one last time celebrating the upcoming weekend. Let the festivities begin. After a quick power nap, it was time for the always needed wedding rehearsal. Queue another cute dress and heels. Highlights of the run through included: the ministers car breaking down, people getting lost, and finding the closest place to cool off. After the coolest summer in the states history, my sister decides to get married on the hottest day in the summer. Being so well behaved, and following directions, the wedding party and family were rewarded with a wonderful rehearsal dinner hosted by the groom to be's family not too far away from the chapel. O.M.G. Less than 24 hours from the big day. Who had time for nerves when you had excitement to take over? The lovebirds said their goodbyes for the night and it was off to get our beauty sleep. Longest being forced to sleep night of my life. Maybe next time I wake up, I'll have to get up and get the day going. And that was only 3:00. I still had a long four hours to go.
     FINALLY!!!! August 15, 2009 will be one day that I will never forget. Setting my alarm for 7:30 that morning, it was time to get this day started. Mom had set up hair and makeup appointments for us that morning. I loved getting glamed up and all, but I was ready for the main event. But I told myself that this day will only happen once, so I needed to soak it all in. And I did. With the ceremony being held at 2:00 that afternoon, we did last minute make up and hair adjustments before heading off to the church. Blogging about this glorious day makes me want to giggle. After 18 long months of planning and parties, and being the last one to walk down the adorable and short aisle as Maid of Honor, I would witness my sister participating in a sweet, heartfelt, touching, and sometimes comical marriage ceremony. Until August 15, 2009, I was pretty sure I knew what love was all about. Oh no. That day redefined the true meaning of love. Surrounded by 80 of their closest family and friends, the support and love from everyone in attendance filled the chapel from the slate floors to the pointed gothic rafters. It seemed as if everyone who was there were truly offering their support for a long, healthy wonderful marriage. Smiles and gasps greeted the gorgeous bride as the doors opened for the walk down the aisle. With Henry Mancini's Moon River being played by a quartet, and being the proud dad he was, Dad handed her off to the radiant groom. It took me everything I had to not bawl my eyes out during the ceremony. After the gorgeous, I didn't pass out because before I walked down the aisle, I was told to breathe and whatever you do, do not lock your knees ceremony, it was time for me to some how come off of cloud nine and rest before the reception a few hours later.
     Clearly aware that I'm not discussing the reception. Want those stories? Stay tuned.

-Sara- 

No comments:

Post a Comment