Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bumpy Brownie Lips...

Having a nephew does have its perks: Having a bad day? A smiling face at home waiting for me. Why waste money on a security system when you have him there to keep an eye on the house? Free babysitting services. A new way to wake me up, instead of that god awful cell phone alarm. He's willing to wrestle anytime you want. And my personal favorite? He gives the best kisses.
     It was a dark cold dreary January night in 2008. Being on mid winter break his mom decided that she couldn't go another day without seeing me, so decided to come home and hang out for the weekend. Why not celebrate her being home than going out for a quiet, it maybe some of the best mexican food you can get in town for dinner? Our dinner had arrived and it was time to dig in. It wasn't time to eat before his mom took the phone call that changed my life. "Hello?" "Hey we're at dinner can I call you back?" "Well... I found a boxer in the newspaper and I'm on my way to look at it." "Are you sure about this?" "Yes I'm sure, I've thought it out and I have enough time to be with him, so I'm ready." Still confused? Thought so. His mom got off the phone with a puzzled look. "Your soon to be brother (I dropped the in law a long time ago) is on his way to get a new boxer." Gotcha! I'm not talking about a human. I'm talking about the love of my life/makes everyday so much better/ the best four legged three year old boxer dog anyone could ask for, Joker. 
     Jokers mom spent most of her life cheering for UL, until she met Jokers Dad. Now Jokers Dad is the complete opposite. Yea, he likes that other university team, UK. It was his mission to convert my sister who had spent her life cheering for UL, into successfully cheering for UK. He's slowly trying to convert me. After the 2007 season, being the organized, winning football team they were, and doing all the post season business, it was in January 2008 that UK decided when Coach Brooks retired, there would be no need for the school to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to find a new head coach, as the heir to the UK Football Thrown was coaching next to Coach Brooks. I present to you Joker's name sake, Head Coach of The UK Wildcats Football Team, Joker Phillips. Lets just clear this up now, and save the love of my life some confusion and embarrassment. Joker is not named after the Academy Award Winner Heath Ledger playing the role of The Joker during the 2008 movie The Dark Knight.
     We've all seen the Oprah episodes about people having multiple personalities. Okay Joker just has one personality, and is always happy, but Joker has multiple nicknames. Exactly how many nicknames can you make out of Joker? Jo, Jo-Jo, Joseph, Josephfits, Joseph Magillicutty, The Joke, and last but not least, Bumpy Brownie Lips. Hence the title.  Where do you get Bumpy Brownie Lips from Joker? Let me explain. One day this summer, my little bear walked up to Joker's mom and said, "Joker's lips look like brownies but with bumps on them."
     Being the nice aunt I am, I went ahead and attached a picture of Joker. I'll go ahead and stop writing because I know you want to look at this stud muffin. And sorry Tucker, he's my favorite.

Stud. Muffin. 

-Sara-






2 comments:

  1. Joker is sooo cute! I was really confused after that first paragraph but it all makes sense now. Have a good weekend...

    ReplyDelete