Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Best Day...Part 2...

Previously on the Best Day Part One: we left off with yours truly coming off of cloud nine and head home for a power nap. Well, I attempted, but failed. How could someone like me nap on one of the most gorgeous day's of someones life? Between the five hours after the ceremony and reception, we headed back to wedding headquarters, (su casa, es mi casa) where my new brother-in-law, and fellow bridesmaids sans one without shoes headed to the liquor store to pick up some bubbly. How can you not have a wedding and not have champagne? After a toast to the brand spankin new newlyweds, it was off to the hotel to mingle with the out of towner's. The afternoon was going perfectly; a gorgeous ceremony, family in town and the reception in a couple hours. What more could you ask for? Insert thank god we hired a wedding planner. "Hello?" "Uh, yes we were the wedding after yours and wanted to let you know that your wedding license is on the altar." "Okay thanks, we'll take care of it." Hello people?!? This was the document that sealed the deal and it was just hanging at the altar? No biggie. Low and behold, Mom and Dad saved the day and while bringing one crisis to a close, one was just beginning. After a somewhat relaxing afternoon at wedding headquarters, it was off to the party of the year! I had heard about these extravagant details during the planning, but kinda kept them in the back of my head. Walking into the reception may have been one of the most breathtaking moments that I have ever experienced. (Well besides a few hours earlier in the day). After the massive hunt to find the most important document one may ever sign, I thought this would be the only problem of the day. There are five people that need to sign this document. Bride, Groom, witness one, witness two and an officiant. Queue MIA officiant. The search party had been formed and was ready to be activated. "What? Am I late?" "Well not exactly, but we've been needing to sign the wedding license, and the only person we are missing is you." Everyone had been accounted for and the moment had come to sign the license. "Sara, you'll sign right here." "Where?" "Where it says witness. A.K.A Maid of Honor" Signing something like this made me super nervous. I guess all those years practicing my signature in class had finally paid off. After the license had been conducted it was time to get my groove on. Or so I thought. It was time to formally introduce my family to family and friends for FOURTY FIVE MINUTES. Okay, now let us get our dancin shoes on.
     We are a family of modern. No not the emmy award ABC hit show Modern Family, but a family who likes to do things a little different than the boring traditionalists. Time for the first dance as husband and wife. Aw, how cute, but so awkward. Even the lovebirds agree. Instead of dancing to Bob Carlisle's wedding hit "Butterfly Kisses" my sister and dad decided to dance to "Shout!" The dance made for some killer wedding pictures. After the just one more opportunity for that perfect picture dances were over, dinner was served. I needed this night to slow down. I was having way too much fun for this night to end. "What have you eaten today?" Well lets see here. Breakfast around 7:30 this morning and a turkey sandwich around noon. "Sara you need to eat" "No. I'm good though, thanks for asking" I had officially been caught by the dinner police. "I'm gonna bug you till I see you eat something." Having less than 30 minutes to eat lunch in high school, I had perfected the art of scarfing down food. That night, I ate like the Titanic was sinking. I couldn't eat fast enough. With over five different food stations to choose from, including quite the clever mashed potato bar, I remember eating mashed potatoes topped with bacon and grabbing a bite of someones cheese and crackers. After dinner, the night called for more dancing, followed by the cutting of the wedding cake, and me toasting the happy couple in front of 225 people. Of which half of them were their friends that I had never met.
      I had happily volunteered to give a toast earlier in the summer, but as the hours passed by, my nerves began to get the best of me. I had written the speech well before the actual reception and had it memorized as well. The speech was perfect. Not too short, not too long, and the words expressed my true feelings on the couple of the night. It wasn't that I would forget the speech it was the idea of tearing up in front of those 225 people. I got through the first 20 words, followed by waterworks galore. And if you know me, I hardly cry. It wasn't sad tears, it was happy tears, and the thought of making new memories with the family. After recovering from the toast/waterworks, I received several complements from people saying that my speech was so heartfelt and so wonderful. Yea, yea, I know. Being jipped out of wedding cake testing, I made sure I got a piece of cake. As I've mentioned before, there's something about wedding cake that makes it so delicious.
     Eating my delicious piece of vanilla with butter-cream icing, and yes there was chocolate, but I grabbed the first piece I saw wedding cake, I took a moment to sit down and reflect on what had happened in this whirlwind of a day. I had woken up as a family of four and would be going to bed as family of five. And for once, this was a change that I was perfectly content with. Next thing you know it was 11:30 and it was time to send the love birds off to their honeymoon in style.
     Did you know that rice is harmful to birds? Well if you didn't know it, now you do. Instead of throwing the traditional million grains of rice and making the honeymoon exit one that they'll never forget, we decided to celebrate the day with an exit that was lined with family and friends who sported ginormus burning sparklers. The exit made for wonderful pictures and memories. (Tip: If any of you future brides are reading this and want to do this super cool idea, I suggest you do a better time with timing as some sparklers burnt out quickly.) Instead of the oh so boring get-away car, and wanting the two to get away in style, they would drive off into the sunset in a golf cart complete with flowers, tulle, and no get away car can be complete without aluminum cans, and a "Just Married" sign blowing in the wind.
     Two weeks and several late nights later, I couldn't help myself but to look at the 933 pictures of the day. Every picture would (and still does) brings back such wonderful memories of that August day. After everyone had turned in for the night, I would look at the pictures and squeal like a fifth grade girl at a Justin Bieber concert. And for those of you who are wondering, picture 133 is the offical family wedding picture.
     In all honesty, this was one of the best nights of my entire life. From seeing my sister walk down the aisle and marry her best friend, to seeing them go off on their first vacation as a married couple, there was never a dry eye in the church or reception. In the words of Bessie Anderson Stanley, live well, laugh often, love much.


-Sara-

1 comment:

  1. this post made me wanna cry. maybe i'm just feeling emotional...but i think it's because this is just too precious for words. the way you talk about your sister and brother (and all of the events surrounding their big day) is so heartfelt and it warms MY heart! love it.

    ReplyDelete