Thursday, August 19, 2010

Step One In Becoming A Queen...

We've seen it on OPRAH, the horrific commercials, the insurance ads, and true life, too close to home stories about driving and texting. I normally write very witty posts, but today I'm asking you to hold that "Facebook worthy wall post" until you get to your final destination. Just like everyday before I do anything, I checked my Hollywood gossip to find that plastic surgeon to the stars Dr. Frank Ryan was killed instantly on August 16, 2010 because of this deadly and trending killer. Dr. Ryan had always dreamed of climbing some giant sand dunes west of the beaches of Malibu. After achieving this dream, he got in his car, switched his ignition to ON, and started driving. In today's society we always think we have to multi-task with life, and that's what he choose to do. He choose to TWEET about completing his dream:"After 25 years of driving by, I finally hiked to the top of the giant sand dune on the pch west of Malibu. Much harder than it looks! Whew!" And those were the last words we will ever see from the now legendary surgeon. As much as he may have been excited about crossing off climbing sand dunes off his bucket list, he could have continued to complete his list had he not decided to make this life ending decision. Usually when I read that someone in Hollywood has passed away, I say a little prayer for the person who has died, and the people left behind. But when I read that he had died because of deciding to TWEET his accomplishment while driving, I became stunned, and took a minute to say an extra prayer for his family and having to live with the consequences of his decision. As tempting as it is to hear your phone ring or alert you that you have a new message while your driving, please think about the people you love and those that love you, and join Sandra Bullock, the cast of gLee, music idol Sir Elton John, Snowboarder Shaun White, and Queen Raina Of Jordan (hence the title) and me in becoming cell phone free. 


-Sara- 

No comments:

Post a Comment