Thursday, June 16, 2011

I Left My Heart In D.C. ...

"This is an NBC News special report..." Ooooo. Wonder what this could be? "It is with great sadness that we report the death of  Meet The Press moderator and Washington Bureau Chief Tim Russert, who passed away this afternoon after collapsing while recording voice overs for this week's Meet The Press."  I know what I just wrote was just incredibly depressing, but just go ahead and read some more. It gets happier.
     After the initial shock that the world had lost an incredibly intelligent  media legend, it was only appropriate that The TODAY show pay tribute to Tim by spending the following morning's newscast interviewing former and current political figures and noteworthy Meet The Press guests. Somewhere in the mixture of guests, Matt Lauer had the privilege of talking to his son Luke. Doing the best he could, Matt did an excellent job staying positive while Luke gave fond memories of his father.
    Having the honor of giving the eulogy at his father's funeral, it was then that the world and I was introduced to one of the current loves of my life, Mr. Luke Russert. Like any normal human being would do, Luke stepped out of the spotlight for the remainder of the summer, and would gear up for the 2008 election that included countless number of appearances on morning news shows analyzing the days political news. I'm sure Tim is proud.
     In case you didn't know, this past winter I finally caved in and joined the Twitterverse. Sad, I know. But once you get the hang of it, it becomes rather addicting. And why yes as a matter of fact, you can express your thoughts in 140 character or less. I'm not going to confuse my readers with Twitter jargon, but when my Twitter feed shows up, some people choose to say the exact same thing that someone else has said, and being the news nerd I am, of course I follow @nbcnews, and they happened to say something that Luke thought was interesting, and well, it was new found love. Therefore, I now follow @LukeRussert. A.K.A., "I cover Capitol Hill, for NBC News. Been sweating it out in the streets of a runaway American Dream since 1985."
     Sorry for the background info, but see, I told you it would get happier. Luke is definitely one of my favorites on Twitter, and I always get excited when he tweets. It's so great, because from 8-5 Monday-Friday, he tweets like it's job, and to be honest, that's where I hear 90% of the news. Yes. From Luke Russerts twitter in 140 characters or less. And then from 5:01 each night he goes to his 25 year old self twittering sports news, or even tweets pictures of his pug #well i got too tired of looking so I don't know his name. Another great thing about his tweets? Sometimes... he tweets PICTURES. In Washington D.C. It makes me feel so.... connected.... to famous people. Hence the tweet I left you with in "Don't Forget To Remember Me." Sitting alone in the Capitol Rotunda at dawn. There's nothing like it."  You want to see the picture don't you? You're welcome. 
     To sum everything up?  Legend in the making, and a true northern gentleman.




-Sara- 

No comments:

Post a Comment