Sunday, December 19, 2010

This Ain't No Snowmageddon....

"Snowmaggeddon: (n) the term used to describe epic snowstorms- like the February 6 blizzard that dumped some 30 inches of snow in Washington D.C." People were snowed in without power for weeks, schools were out for days, and the federal government had to be shutdown some days. We're talking about the feds here people. If the government was shutdown and people had to ski to work, yea, I'd categorize this under a crisis. And then you have our weatherman calling for the half inch of ice with an inch or two of snow storm 2010 a big deal? They need to get their priorities and facts straight. 
    Three days shy of the official start of Winter and I have already witnessed what may be one of the craziest winters (well besides 2009, but thats another story) of my short 22 years of life. As I mentioned earlier in one of my postings, I'm beginning to despise the cold. I have always enjoyed the cold, but when I have to set my alarm at least five minutes earlier and can't press the snooze button, just so I can build in time to put on extra layers, you could say I hate the cold. 
     Rumors of this impending "storm" began swirling mid day Monday. The meteorologists couldn't pin point the exact day of it's arrival, but whatever it was, it was gonna be a big one. If this so called event was gonna be big, it was time to do some major we better gear up in case we're snowed in for days shopping. And with the shopping came the panic shortages of bread, milk, and eggs. Insert Mom knew this was coming and went out two days early and beat all the locals panic attacks. Recently one of  our beloved local meteorologists retired after serving his twenty five years of weather duty. (I'm getting somewhere just hang on...) and when he got excited about a storm he rated it by how many milk bread and eggs we would need. Sadly, he's not here to rate this storm, but as good ole dad said, he would have rated this as a one loaf of bread one dozen eggs and a gallon of milk storm. I had myself convinced this was gonna be nothing compared to last year's Winter storm. Or so I thought. 
     With our special christmas guests arriving the day of the impending storm, I thought two things: A) It can snow and ice all it wants, but let them get here first, and B) I hope they brought warm clothes. The storm was to begin promptly at 12:00 Wednesday night. Once it had been pinpointed as to where the storm was headed, it was time to call in the big whigs of ABC News, Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel, and CNN. At this rate, I was finding my winter coat, my candles, charging my cell phone and my computer for what could be days of living life in little house on the prairie. If we called in the national news, this was gonna be an epic storm filled with lots of snow, ice, and loss of electricity. Excellent. No power in December? Just what I've always wanted for Christmas. With my adrenaline at an all time high, I had prepared myself to ride the storm and pull an all nighter so I could experience the beauty of the glistening snow falling on top of the dreaded ice. Like I mentioned earlier, the weatherman need to get their facts straight before they start reporting the weather, because at 9:15 Wednesday night the white stuff began to fall. "The more snow the better. The more snow the better. The more snow the better." If I kept telling myself that, maybe this would all blow over. 
     Finally after watching all of Jay Leno and the opening of Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, I gave in. I was okay with whatever was going to happen. As long as everyone was safe, and school was called off the next day, I would be okay. Heading to bed, hoping for the best, it was off to what would be a night of spotty sleeping. 4:30? Still have power. Back to bed. 7:45? Still have power. Back to bed. 9:00? Still have power! Success. This was some storm alright. It's a good thing we called in ABC News, The Weather Channel and CNN because it was a big storm with two inches of snow and a half inch of ice. Yes, the snow and ice were pretty, but having your car being completely iced over is not what I call pretty.  
     One would think that if the city received a blanket of snow and ice, people would be smart enough to stay in and hang out and take advantage of the snow day. I'm not mentioning names, but you know who you are, had better plans to come and hang out with yours truly for the day. I'm not complaining that they came to hang out for the day, I'm just saying that they should have thought the idea through when driving on the side roads. Bringing themselves and the Jo Man for the day, it was time for them to tackle coming down the street with a four wheel drive. Halarious. Having the bright idea to start breaking 100 yards before mi casa, they thought they could get into the driveway with no problem. And they had no problem gliding into the neighbors driveway 100 yards PAST mi casa. Seeing that they found themselves stuck in the neighbors driveway there was only one person to call. AAA. 
    "Uh yes, I'm sure you've gotten multiple calls like these today, but we have a vehicle that is stuck in a driveway and we need you to come get it out."  "Okay we'll be there in 30 minutes." I kid you not. 30 minutes later the tow truck had arrived with Humpty Dumpty.  "I don't know about this one either. I've already had to leave three other jobs." Humpty Dumpty wasn't about to leave his fourth job was he? I'll put it this way; if you have a relative who doesn't take no for an answer, you can figure out his response. Well over 90 minutes later, we had ourselves a celebratory lunch to celebrate the car being pulled out filled with ham and Nord's bun and hunkered down for an afternoon of naps. 
     One parting tip of advice: Crocs and ice don't go together. 

-Sara- 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment