Sunday, December 5, 2010

Dear Professors...

Hello Finals week 2010. For the first time in my entire education career, I'm not dreading you. Maybe because it's the fact that I have one paper and one written final away from winter break and I do not have to discuss the topic of you until 2011. While I don't have a problem with finals, there are some issues to be discuss with the great minds of higher education.
     I'm not going to mention names, but as one teacher character look a like from a 90's T.V. show once stated in the class syllabus and multiple emails, this person said that they would be handing back the long awaited they assigned in October and would be due the Monday of Thanksgiving break, and that way they would grade them over break, so they could give them back the Tuesday after break paper. "Um, yeah so I had a 30 page paper due yesterday, and therefore I do not have some of your papers graded." Okay, thats great and all that you're going for your Ph.d, but if I do recall, aren't you getting paid by the university to teach us? Because I am an organized person, I have the syllabus for your class that clearly states you will hand them back on the date you promised, not the next class. And because you thought your 30 page paper was more important than grading ours, I have to make an unnecessary drive to school to HAND deliver my paper's revision to you. I understand that you assigned us this paper in October, but you have the nerves to stand up in front of us and say your paper's were "mediocre" when I'm sitting next to a girl who got a 94, your's truly with a 85, and then 93 next to me? You call that mediocre? All night grading of papers at it's finest. And then on top of that, after 27 classes of looking at my name, you spell my name wrong. With comments on my final paper. My name is not SaraH. It's Sara. Four letters. Not five. Clear and simple. It's a good thing you handed our papers back after your evaluation. "What can this instructor do to make this class better?"If it's an anonymous evaluation, you best believe I wrote my piece of mind. "Show up on time."
    Oh the Tom Brokaw look a like... There is nothing that I can say horribly about you. Or your class. You were a laid back man who said at the beginning of the semester, "I'm not here to be your teacher." Well then what are you doing here? You teach at a university so you have to be a professor of some sort. "I'm here to be your editor." That's a first. Except with the how many comments do you really need to make from the peanut gallery, your class taught me just how much I want to go into the Broadcast Journalism field. You handed back papers within a timely manner and graded fairly.While I was looking over your corrections for your final, I came across some figures I had written. And you quote: "something's not right with these figures." How can they be wrong if I spent an extra 90 minutes at school in jeans, a sweatshirt when it was 70 degrees but couldn't take it off because I had the wrong shirt on, and probably walked a good mile across campus to find these figures in an office I had never heard of? Those numbers came from the school census. Not me estimating. Of all your papers I have written for you, you thought I would make up a number of 73,324 credit hours on your final paper? Like I said earlier, I really did enjoy your class. Please, if I quoted the school census you can pretty much trust me on this one.
     And I keep telling myself, two trips to school until break and 20 days until Christmas. I can do this. I can so do this.

-Sara-
  

No comments:

Post a Comment