Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Diamonds And Dunes...

To do before Five AM Friday morning: Quick trip to Target, run by work, pedicure, fill up on gas before it went up for the Labor Day weekend, Homework, laundry, pack, and bargain with the big guy upstairs to make Hurricane Earl NOT hit Cape Hatteras/Nags Head North Carolina. Please. Just this one weekend. Any other weekend, I could have cared less. My bargain must have worked because I spent Labor Day weekend in Nags Head, NC for a family friend's wedding.
    Before last weekend I have never paid so much close attention to The Weather Channel. You know me and storms. Storms and Sara don't mix. Earlier in the week, we started paying some attention to Earl. We figured that it would do the last minute right turn around and miss Nags Head. The days went by, and Earl continued to strengthen. I had looked forward to this wedding since July and I was determined to go. Wednesday had arrived and Nags Head began the tourist evacuations. I was not about to give up hope yet. Now mind you, the grooms family had already arrived in Nags Head to do last minute preparations. Thursday came. MANDATORY evacuations. We had been keeping in touch with the family all week to see what the conditions were on the island. They had told us that they would be up all Thursday night weathering the storm and that we could call them before we left Friday morning. Being the procrastinator I am, I put off laundry, packing and homework until nine thirty Thursday night. I had to be up and dressed and in the car headed to the airport by 5:45 Friday morning. What else is there to do besides being asleep at two o'clock in the morning? Stalk weather channel god Jim Cantore's up to the minute twitter while he was out in the middle of Earl. After I had received a text from a family friend who was already there, saying that a groomsmen was able to fly into Charlotte, his flight was on time, and got ON the island two hours before the storm had arrived, it was determined I was headed to Nags Head.
    Before heading to the airport, I was told to go with the flow. Not knowing the circumstances on the island, we had booked a hotel for Friday night in Norfolk just in case we were not able to get into Nags Head. I hate change, but if it meant being a day late and at least being able to go, I could deal. Before our plane left, I was told to remember where we had parked the car. I was to remember a parking spot in the long term parking at 6:00 Friday morning. Row K, spot 40. That was my only responsibilty the entire weekend.Our plane left at 7:05 headed to Atlanta. Next stop? Norfolk. Landing in Norfolk, we were greeted with rain. Norfolk is a good two hour drive from Nags Head and there's only one way to get there. The rental car. This was the all important test. If they released the car, we were in the clear. We had gone to the information desk asking if they had knew the conditions of the island. Their response? "Oh you don't want to head there." Breathe Sara. Breathe. Go with the flow. We decided to brave the rain in Norfolk and head to the island. A two hour trip from Norfolk to Nags Head and less than three hours of sleep the night before only meant one thing: nap time.
      Roughly two hours later we arrived at our hotel only to be greeted with, "Sorry. We're short staffed and your room is not ready." Well duh. Everybody and their mom was at least two hours inland to avoid the hurricane. I could have told you that. After exploring the island for at least a good 30 minutes, and arriving back to the hotel, our room was ready. The first thing you do when you get to your destination is unpack your suitcase. Me on the other hand, I lived out of my suitcase for the weekend. I had more important things to do than unpack. It was off to find at least just one more t-shirt I did not need to add to my collection from a really cool restaurant along the beach. First stop? Awful Arthurs.  Known for their delicious steamed shrimp it was off to dinner to catch up with the family of the groom and celebrate the upcoming nuptials. After dinner it was time for the great t-shirt search. I had found some cute shirts but Arthurs was a fail. Across from Arthurs was the pier/boardwalk which happened to be crowded with surfers who were taking advantage of the aftermath of Earl. The group had decided to walk across the street to the boardwalk to really get up close and personal with the east coast.  The night had come to an end after a long day of nerves and traveling.
     Saturday had arrived which brought mom and I outlet shopping while Dad went out golfing with the boys. Being exhausted from the day before and needing my beauty sleep, I awoke at 10:45 Saturday morning to be approached with the thought "We can go to the beach, but due to Earl, flies have invaded." Next choice? Outlet shopping with Mom. First stop? J-Crew with Labor Day Weekend Sales.  Uh Oh. A few weeks back I had seen the latest Fall trend called jeggings. Yes. You heard me right. Jean leggings. You may be thinking "that sounds so 80's." Oh no. It may be one of the best ideas since sliced bread. So cute and so many ways you can dress them up. I told myself I would at least try them on. I found them. I tried them on. I fell in love with them. I bought them. Cooler weather can not come fast enough so I can sport them. Further down the mall? Ralph Lauren. Cute shirt to wear to school for the win. After shopping for the day was over, it was time to go find a bar that covered the UL/UK/football kickoff game. That's a sensitive subject. I'd rather not talk about it.
   Saturday night had finally arrived and it was time for the rehearsal dinner!! Arriving in my adorable Modcloth "Island Block" totally appropriate for the occasion dress and my green reefs, it was off to a night of dinner and mingling. The dinner was held in an outside long hall that had gorgeous views of the bay with multi million dollar yachts, which happened to be the background for lots of pictures :) Knowing that the bride and groom had a big day the next day the night came to end, but lots of excitement to look forward to!
     The big day had finally arrived!! But not before some laying by the pool and going on the complete opposite road to find a "I Survived Hurricane Earl" but not really but wanting a souvenir tee shirt. Whoops. The day I had been waiting for since July to finally debut my adorable dress and killer pink suede shoes for this very special occasion had come. Knowing that the ceremony was at five that afternoon and needing to leave by 4:15, I built in plenty of time to get ready. So I got ready at 2:45ish. Clearly aware that is too much time for a girl to get ready. Finally!!! It was time to see the person who I had spent some of my childhood with was off and getting married. Yeesh. Time flies. The ceremony was absolutely gorgeous and the church was filled with love. The bridesmaids wore navy tea length dresses while the groomsmen wore khaki suits with green ties. It was a brief two block walk from the church to the reception site which seemed like forever walking in my heels. Pain is beauty.
     Reception time!! Walking into a cute, belongs in Nags Head, something you would see in a magazine, reception site it was time for dinner and dancing the night away. At most wedding receptions it is assigned seating. Not this one, which was perfect because we were able to reconnect with some of the friends of the grooms who we had not seen since they were in middle school. On the menu for dinner? Salad, potatoes au gratin, rolls, veggies, and your choice of salmon or roast beef. And then my personal  favorite for dessert? WEDDING CAKE!! I don't know if I like it because it is filled with love or what, but wedding cake ranks way up there. Weird. I know. The cake was vanilla with some sort of maybe lime filling, but definitely delicious. After the cake, its only traditional that the Maid Of Honor and Best Man get up and gave their speeches. Both speeches were sweet and heartfelt. After all the mandatory reception stuff it was time to dance the night away!! Some traditional songs, some top 40 I found my trusty dance partner for the night :) and danced off my drink of choice of the night, cranberry vodka. Highlight of the weekend? Not really sure, because honestly there are too many to name. :) I forgot just how much I love weddings.

-Sara-

No comments:

Post a Comment