Sunday, September 12, 2010

Cheese For All...

As seen on many fellow Facebook statuses, "Got my first Pumpkin Latte of the season!" "Off to Hubers!" "First tailgate of the college football season!" it's time to acknowledge that fall has indeed arrived. What is it that fall has arrived for me? I'll give you one hint. It's none of these. The harbinger of fall for me is the epically halarious and awesome arrive at 6:30 and stay till 7:30 annual cocktail party given by my hostess with the mostess grandmother.
     Arriving in my killer dress and pink suede shoes accessorized with my pink clutch, it was off to do my I've been serving since I was seven duties. What was I serving you ask? World famous Deccas, and the world famous/Kentucky State Fair Blue Ribbon winning Beat N' Biscuits. Deccas are a family recipe that I think are wonderful. It's almost like a cheese straw, but more fattening. They're pretty delicious. They seemed to be a hit, but not as much as the Beat N' Biscuits. Let me just describe to you what they are. Lard, butter and country ham. There's no other way to put it. They are pretty much a staple in the family. My aunt originally said she would not be making them for the party. After some persuading and "but if you don't have them, people will ask where they are and I'll get the brunt of the complaining." She kindly responded, "okay fine... I'll make them." I decided the easiest way in doing this was I would rotate. One round of deccas, one round of the biscuits. Then repeat for promptly 30 minutes. While passing, I got the "Who are you? Who do you belong to? I haven't seen you at work lately. Are you still working?" conversation starters. First of all, my name is Sara. Second of all, I don't belong to anyone. Okay maybe I do, but you should of said, "who's daughter are you?" Third of all, yes you have seen me at work. I just don't work to your shopping schedule. Fourth of all, I have a life. Work does give me a few days off thank you very much. At promptly 7:00 the dining room doors were open and "dinner" was served. On the menu: Shrimp, tenderloin sandwiches, tomato sandwiches (I personally requested), vegetables with a caesar dressing dipping sauce, and the worlds biggest four or five layer cheese torte. My grandmother had around 70ish people and the torte could have fed 100 comfortably and probably still had left overs. Dessert? Key lime bars and chocolate dipped coconut macaroons. Growing up at these parties, I was told that no eating until the guests had left. I guess being an adult does have it's perk, because I broke the rule. Whoops. I couldn't wait 12 hours to eat. I had purposely not eaten so I could indulge in the finger foods. Yes a few people looked at me but you know what, I earned those sandwiches, so therefore I get to treat myself. I started out with just one tomato sandwich, but after you have one, you can't stop. Yes, a simple piece of pepperidge farm bread cut into a circle, a slice of tomato, mayonnaise, and basil for decoration, can become addicting. At 7:05 I saw the first couple leaving. Two words. PARTY FOUL.7:30 and right on time, people began their "oh it was so nice to see you, you did a wonderful job, your grandchildren are just so sweet" goodbyes. The faster they got out the faster I could take my shoes off. Exactly how long do goodbyes take? Too long, because at 8:15, I gave in and went barefoot.
     Taking place in the same room, sitting in the same spots and the guests had come and gone, it was time for the after party/evaluate/finally get to eat conversation. Okay, so yes it's not exactly polite to talk about people, but we're only talking about the fact that people came a hour early. The invitations were printed in plain english people. As the laughter was flowing, it was time to end the night. We weren't ending the night because we were tired, we ended the night because we had to get home to watch Snooks. After all, the hostess with the mostess did need her beauty sleep.
     A cool September night, serving hors d' oeuvres and missing the NFL Kick off show for the ninth year in a row? Fall 2010 can finally commence.

-Sara-

No comments:

Post a Comment